If you're going out to vote tomorrow, please support Obama. Choose the future.
Quick list of reasons:
- Obama's detailed technology platform is pretty much perfect.
- He is much stronger than Clinton against any republican challenger.
- His policies are phrased so that they don't terrify republicans but still provide the same benefits as Clinton's.
- He is capable of convincing people of things, not just tacking effectively toward the polls.
- He is capable of disarming powerful interests (in all senses of the word), not just warring with them.
- He is endorsed by Lessig, XKCD, and danah boyd.
When I was [at the World Economic Forum] in Davos, I expected everyone to be pro-Hillary and anti-Barack because of the whole "experience" thing. I was shocked to find that this was not the case at all.
Most foreign diplomats and companies thought that Barack would be much better at negotiating with foreign powers than Hillary. They all knew that the candidates would have huge advisory teams that would help them understand what was going on. Even though Hillary knew more people already, they felt as though Barack would be more effective. (And most were extremely worried about how Bill would overshadow anything with Hillary... another sad reality.)
Before Bush II, the U.S. had only once -- in its entire history -- seen the son of a former president elected himself: John Quincy Adams, in 1824, and there were 3 intervening presidents between him and his father.
Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton would be without any precedent at all, and you can rest assured that the dynastic pattern is not a coincidence. Looking objectively at other countries, a dynastic government seems -- even when democratically elected -- to indicate weak institutions, unsophisticated voters, and a cloistered and ossifying inner circle.