Photo: Flickr user lifeontheedge

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Wikipedia History Animations

Yesterday I wrote about a contest to design an interface to animate wikipedia article histories. Two entries are already in, and they're coooool.

Dan Phiffer's Wikipedia Animate is the one I like best. It's a greasemonkey script, but I've taken the liberty of compiling it, so you can install it as a regular Firefox extention. Here's the file. Update: I can't seem to compile version 1.5 correctly, so you'll have to use Greasemonkey. If anyone else wants to attempt a compile, let me know and I'll link.

Directions (Updated):

  • Make sure you've uninstalled or disabled any wikipedia-related scripts or extentions you already have.
  • Install the Greasemonkey extention (Wikipedia Animate or WikiDiff will "plug into" Greasemonkey).
  • Go to Wikipedia Animate or WikiDiff and follow the link to the User Script. You should see a full screen of text.
  • In the Tools menu, there should be a new item (called "MF2" or "Install Script" or something else). Click it and give permission to install.
  • Go to a wikipedia page like Digital Pet. (If you're using WikiDiff, disregard the rest of these instructions and use the green control at the bottom of the page.)
  • Click on the History tab at the top of the page (a link for your convienience).
  • There should be a new button next to "Compare selected versions" that says "Animate changes". For it to be useful, you should select the start and finish points -- select the lowest radio button you can find and click "animate".

Cool.

2 comments:

Dan Phiffer said...

Nifty :)

BTW, I've been updating the script, and it now even highlights diffs between frames.

Ben Yates said...

I like the highlight feature a lot, though it's very slow on my computer (not sure whether this is a client-side or server-side issue). Also, version 0.5 doesn't compile correctly, so I've taken down the XPI link for now.